· 2 · 1292

Aaron Widera

• Math2Market Employee
    • View Profile
    • Math2Market GmbH
  • Position: Sales Engineer Digital Material R&D
Visualization Questions
« on: May 11, 2023, 04:41:07 PM »
During my usage I came across two questions on visualization settings in GeoDict:
  • How can I show a volume field and a structure outlines in 2D view
  • How can I show volume field lines (e. g. flow field stream lines) in 2D view
Do you have any ideas?

Roman Buchheit

• Math2Market Employee
    • View Profile
Re: Visualization Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 11:48:38 AM »
Hello Aaron,

it's possible to set these visualizations. Let me answer your question assuming that you simulated the flow through the pores of a porous structure (see image 1).
[ IMAGE NOT SHOWN - GUESTS CANNOT VIEW ATTACHED IMAGES ]

1.) To show a volume field in 2D view, load the “velocity” volume field. Then click on 2D view and in the camera tab, select Grid: “Structure Outlines” in the combobox. Now you see an outline of the structure, as shown in image 2.
It's now possible to modify the view:  For example, you can deselect the structure by unchecking “Structure” in the corresponding tab in the visualization settings.

To enhance the outlines, you can set the volume field to transparent. Check the “Transparent” checkbox (image 3), with the “Edit …” color map you can select the transparency that you prefer. The outlines are one pixel by default and appear quite slim. As one solution, you can either zoom out to show the whole structure smaller on the screen so that the lines will appear thicker in comparison to the structure size.

For a more controlled way, go to File --> Save Image as --> Select “Legend Placement: Attached”, uncheck “Automatic Resolution” and set Zoom Factor e.g. to “2”. Then, one voxel will be shown by 2x2 pixels and therefore the outline is half as thick as one voxel (image 4).

You can further play with Camera --> Depth Settings or add more points in the transparency of the volume field (e.g. setting the transparency of the volume field to 0 for velocities close to 0) as shown in images 5-6.

2.) Streamlines in 3D view do not project on 2D view. Instead, to show the volume field lines in 2D view (e.g. the flow field lines) select “Schlieren” (image 8) and then the x position, where you want to show the projection of the flow. 
Now you can increase the resolution (e.g. to 4) and select “Colorize".
Another way to show the structure is by selecting the clipping in X direction accordingly (see image 9).

Afterwards, you could fine-tune the 2D angle in the “Camera” tab and deselect the bounding box in the Visualization side bar -> Legends / Overlays -> Uncheck Bounding Box. (Image 10) 

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 11:51:25 AM by Roman Buchheit »
Business Manager Batteries & Fuel Cells