Measure the length of fibers

· 5 · 1478

Elise Cabaset

• View Profile
  • Position: Phd student
Measure the length of fibers
« on: April 18, 2023, 11:24:41 AM »
Dear Geodict-team,
After the generation of a fibrous structure with, for example, a lognormal distribution of infinite circular fibers, is it possible to obtain the length of each fiber in the domain ? Indeed, to convert a number fiber size distribution to a volume fiber size distribution we need this information ; otherwise we need to assume that all fibers have the same length which is not the case according to their position in the 3D structure.
Thanks !

Aaron Widera

• Math2Market Employee
    • View Profile
    • Math2Market GmbH
  • Position: Sales Engineer Digital Material R&D
Re: Measure the length of fibers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 03:42:36 PM »
Hello Elise,

I'd like to understand the motivation for your questions better. Would you like to obtain a Plot of the "Fiber Volume" over their "Relative Counts"?
Or some other kind of Plot, Graph or analysis of the fiber volumes?

Best regards,
Aaron

Elise Cabaset

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 04:33:49 PM »
Hi,
To explain my methodology, I extract my generated fibrous structure as a .gad file, which allows me to get the diameters of all the fibers in the structure. From these data, I can calculate the real number fiber size distribution (FSD) generated by FiberGeo. However, I would like to be able to convert these results into volume FSD to verify if there are enough fibers in the domain to respect the expectations (parameters of the lognormal law in this case).

Best regards,
Elise

Aaron Widera

• Math2Market Employee
    • View Profile
    • Math2Market GmbH
  • Position: Sales Engineer Digital Material R&D
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 04:47:25 PM »
Thank you for explaining.
I think then I have a solution for you.

The first step is optional: Use "Model" -> "GadGeo" -> "Algorithms" -> "Cut Fibers to Domain". This cuts the infinite fibers to the domain and makes sure, that only fibers with an start or endpoint are inside of the structure.
As I said this is optional, depending on whether you would like to also have fibers without a start or endpoint in the structure or not.

Now:
  • Use "Analyze" -> "MatDict" -> "GAD Object Analysis" -> "Analyze Objects" and click "Edit"
  • Go to the "Analyze Options" tab and choose your settings
  • Important to keep the "Volume" option for your case and click "OK" and "Run"

This gives you a result file with a plot like that:
[ IMAGE NOT SHOWN - GUESTS CANNOT VIEW ATTACHED IMAGES ]

You also have other options for the x and y axis, for example choosing cumulative distributions or relative volume distributions.
Is such a plot what you are looking for to determine if the domain is suitable?

Elise Cabaset

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 10:12:10 AM »
Hi,
Thank you for your answer. I did some testing last week and managed to get the information I was looking for.
With your optional first step, I can have other information in the .gad file that can help me calculate the fiber length.
Best regards,
Elise