Can I add binder only to a specific object in a structure?

· 3 · 3131

robintwhite

• View Profile
Can I add binder only to a specific object in a structure?
« on: September 15, 2021, 06:57:42 PM »
I have a structure with several objects (anode, cathode, aluminum, copper, separator) however I would like to add binder considering only my cathode object (with it's own label ID). Is this possible? Is there another way to do something similar? I have only been ableto find examples where binder is added to the full structure that has only 1 object ID.
Thanks!

Ilona Glatt

• View Profile
Re: Can I add binder only to a specific object in a structure?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 08:45:20 AM »
Adding binder to only one material ID in a structure with several material IDs is possible, when you use several steps to do so.
The easiest way I can think of at the moment is:

1. Save the material ID you want to add binder to (say ID 01, NMC e.g.), in a separate file. This can be done by reassigning all the other material to be pore (usually ID 00) and saving the resulting structure as "onlyNMC.gdt" or any other new name. 
2. Start again with the original structure, reassign the NMC to be pore and save the resulting structure again with a new name, e.g. "alltheothermaterials.gdt".
3. Load the structure "onlyNMC.gdt" and add the binder.
4. Use LayerGeo (in Model-Tab) and use Add to add the structure "alltheothermaterials.gdt" to your current structure.

The result will be your original battery-cell structure, but with binder added to the NMC.

Alternatively you could assemble your battery cell after creating the cathode including the binder.

robintwhite

• View Profile
Re: Can I add binder only to a specific object in a structure?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 06:30:27 PM »
Thanks Ilona, that worked great!