How to convert the channel structure to aerogel structure by GrainGeo?

· 4 · 150

Evren

• View Profile

Dear users,
I would like to kindly ask you how to convert the channel structure which is created by FoamGeo to the Aerogel structure as it is shown in the photo.
I have successfully created a channel structure. After that, I have clicked "Create in Current Domain" and then on the Object Options tab, I have set the Center distribution of this object to 'On current Objects'. However, the grains are not distributed the same as it is shown in the photo.
I would appreciate getting any kind of suggestion from you.
Thank you very much in advance.
Best regards

Evren

Note: You can see the picture from the link below (Page 5)

[size=78%]https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mdpi.com%2F1996-1944%2F11%2F2%2F214%2Fpdf&psig=AOvVaw0-6XqDRTk6WJcDvu3Hj7Ay&ust=1628951500209000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCPjtgLabrvICFQAAAAAdAAAAABAP[/size]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:50:35 PM by Evren »

Aaron Widera

• Math2Market Employee
    • View Profile
    • Math2Market GmbH
  • Position: Sales Engineer Digital Material R&D
Re: How to convert the channel structure to aerogel structure by GrainGeo?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 10:20:09 AM »
Hi Evren,
sure we help you how to make such a Aerogel structure. You already are on the right track, you just need some more extra steps.

So when you have the channel structure you have to:
  • Go to Model:ProcessGeo:Invert and invert the structure.
  • Go to GrainGeo:CreateGrains and select
    • Create in Current Domain and Keep Current Objects / Structure
    • Select the option Without (Remove) Object Overlap and click Edit Here you set the Overlap SVP / (%) to 0.1
    • Set the Add Object solid Volume Percentage to a bit less than the amount of Pore in the inverted structure. So for example the inverted structure has 12% porosity, than you choose 10%
    • Finally you can set the diameter distributioin of your spheres as you need them and click on OK and Generate
  • When it is finished you are left with the Aerogel and the remains of the inverted structure. Just Reassign this material ID to Pore (ID 00) and you have only the Aerogel left

That should give you the Aerogel. Please let me briefly know if it helped or if you have any questions left?

Have a nice day,
Aaron

Evren

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 11:46:17 AM »
Dear Aaron,
First of all, thank you very much for your prompt reply. I really appreciate it.
Well, I have tried right now and it works!
Thank you very much again for your support.
Have a nice day,
Best regards
Evren

Aaron Widera

• Math2Market Employee
    • View Profile
    • Math2Market GmbH
  • Position: Sales Engineer Digital Material R&D
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 05:54:51 PM »
You are welcome :)
By the way this is very intersting application and combination of the FoamGeo and GrainGeo modules.
Hopefully we are hearing about your work with GeoDict in one way or the other someday in the future.